DATE: March 11, 2003
TO: Board of Supervisors
SUBJECT: LETTER OF INTENT WITH THE CITY OF CHULA VISTA FOR DEVELOPMENT OF A NEW BONITA-SUNNYSIDE LIBRARY
On December 3, 2002 (13), the Board authorized commencement of preliminary negotiations with the City of Chula Vista to determine the feasibility of constructing a new Bonita-Sunnyside Library on a City-owned site located adjacent to the Chula Vista Golf Course. Today's request is for approval of a Letter of Intent, which provides the framework for a future ground lease agreement with the City of Chula Vista, and for the construction and operation of a new County branch library, which will serve the Bonita-Sunnyside community. The Board is also asked to amend existing contracts with consultants to conduct site analysis, including environmental assessment, geo-technical testing of existing soils, and preliminary architectural design services for site planning.
CHIEF ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICER
- Find, in accordance with Article 18, Section 15262 of the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA), that approval of a Letter of Intent is categorically exempt from the provisions of CEQA, as it is legally non-binding and consists solely of planning and feasibility studies for possible future actions.
- Approve and authorize the Clerk of the Board to execute three copies of the Letter of Intent with the City of Chula Vista.
- Authorize the Director, Department of General Services to initiate the due diligence investigation of the proposed Bonita-Sunnyside Library site, and environmental assessment for the project.
- Authorize the Director, Department of General Services, following receipt of satisfactory results from the due diligence investigation of the site, to negotiate a ground lease with the City of Chula Vista, and return to the Board for approval.
- In accordance with Board Policy A-87, authorize the Director, Department of Purchasing and Contracting, to enter into negotiations with Dominy + Associates Architects to extend existing Contract Number 45648 in an amount not to exceed $50,000, for preliminary architectural design and related site engineering.
- In accordance with Board Policy A-87, authorize the Director, Department of Purchasing and Contracting, to enter into negotiations with BRG Consulting, Inc., to extend existing Contract Number 44549 in an amount not to exceed $28,000 for environmental assessment of the project site.
- Designate the Director of General Services as the County Officer responsible for administering all awarded contracts.
Funds for due diligence and environmental review of the proposed site, estimated at $95,000, are budgeted in KL9540 – Bonita-Sunnyside Library.
Business Impact Statement
Advisory Board Statement
The Friends of Bonita Library concur with today’s action.
Since 1976, the Bonita-Sunnyside Library has been located in 3,000 square feet of leased space in a retail center at 5047 Central Avenue in Bonita. The current leased facility is outdated, and provides only 25% of the space needed to serve future population projections for the Bonita-Sunnyside community. On April 27, 1999 (21), the Board approved a Five-Year Library Facility Capital Improvement Plan that identified 19 priority projects for the replacement of inadequate County library facilities. Although the Bonita-Sunnyside Branch was first on that list, construction of a new branch has not been started.
On December 3, 2002 (13), the Board approved Chairman Greg Cox's request for staff to move forward with negotiations with the City of Chula Vista to identify and resolve issues relating to the siting of a new 8,000 square foot County branch library and a 2,000 square foot community meeting room on a City-owned parcel in the 4400 block of Bonita Road. The proposed library site is located adjacent to the Chula Vista Golf Course, immediately west of the Golf Course pro shop facility, as shown on Attachment "A". The new library would require approximately half of the City's three-acre vacant site and would front the golf course to maximize views and minimize traffic impacts from Bonita Road. Today's request is for approval of a Letter of Intent with the City of Chula Vista, which includes the following provisions:
SITE: Approximately 60,000 square feet of vacant land in the 4400 block of Bonita Road (a portion of Assessor Parcel Numbers 593-240-24 and 593-031-31). The exact area to be mutually agreed upon.
GROUND LEASE: County and City agree to negotiate a 40-year ground lease for the site, which will have five 10-year options to extend. The lease shall be rent-free throughout the term.
USE: County will construct and operate a new 8,000 square foot library and a 2,000 square foot community meeting room on the site.
CALIFORNIA ENVIRONMENTAL QUALITY ACT (CEQA): County will pay for preparation of the initial study and the environmental document required for the project under the California Environmental Quality Act.
DESIGN/CONSTRUCTION: Design and construction of the new library facility shall be at the County’s sole cost. Design shall be subject to City review and approval.
OPERATION/MAINTENANCE: Day to day operation of the new library, including maintenance of the building and grounds, shall be at the County’s sole cost.
Following approval of today's request, due diligence investigation of the site will commence to include initial environmental assessment for the project, analysis of site conditions relating to floodplain considerations, geo-technical studies of existing soils and fill placement, and preliminary architectural design. The cost of this initial due diligence phase, which will take approximately four months to complete, is estimated at $95,000. A consultant team consisting of Dominy + Associates Architects and BRG Environmental, Inc., will prepare the due diligence investigation. These consultants have provided similar services for current library projects. Amendments to existing contracts are required for tasks related to the Bonita-Sunnyside Library.
Following satisfactory completion of the due diligence investigation and completion of the CEQA process, staff will negotiate a ground lease for the site for approval by the City and the County, and will request authorization to finalize design of the new library facility.
- San Diego County Administrative Code. The proposed action complies with the provisions of Section 67 of the San Diego County Administrative Code, which prohibits the County from contracting with persons employed by the County or businesses where persons employed by the County, either currently or within the past twelve months, serve as officers, principals, partners or major shareholders.
- California Environmental Quality Act. The proposed Letter of Intent is categorically exempt from the provisions of the California Environmental Quality Act Guidelines, under Article 18, Section 15262, as the Letter of Intent is legally non-binding and consists solely of planning and feasibility studies for possible future actions.
- California Government Code, Section 25351.1. The proposed space is located in a public transit corridor.
County’s 2003-2008 Strategic Plan
The proposed Bonita-Sunnyside Library project fulfills the goals of the County's Five-Year Strategic Plan under the initiative to develop and support services, programs, and initiatives that enrich our residents' quality of life. Approval of the recommendations will ultimately result in a modern branch library facility, including additional new computers and other library resources to provide improved customer service.
WALTER F. EKARD
Chief Administrative Officer