DATE: December 3, 2002
TO: Board of Supervisors
SUBJECT: Reallocation of Community Development Block Grant Funds
The recommendations totaling $111,433 in Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) funding will reallocate funds from approved projects that have been completed or canceled to four other high priority needs identified by a Lincoln Acres community organization. The new projects include Lincoln Acres community park and community center improvements, and Lincoln Acres trash and hazardous waste cleanup activities. If approved these recommendations will result in an estimated total cost of $111,433 in CDBG funds in FY 2002-03.
Vice Chairman Greg Cox
- Approve and authorize the reallocation of $111,433 in Community Development Block Grant funds to four new FY 2002-03 Lincoln Acres projects: Lincoln Acres Trash Cleanup - $11,040; Lincoln Acres Trash Collection Assistance - $3,593; Lincoln Acres Household Hazardous Waste Pickup - $20,000; and Lincoln Acres Community Center/Park Improvements - $76,800, from the following projects: completed FY 1996-97 Lincoln Acres Trash Cleanup - $2,178, cancelled FY 1996-97 Lincoln Acres Park Expansion - $64,201, and completed FY 2000-01 Lincoln Acres Community Center Water System - $45,054.
- Cancel appropriations and related Community Development Block Grant revenue of $45,054 in Capital Project KN0786 - Lincoln Acres Water System Improvements, to provide funding for the new FY 2002-03 Lincoln Acres Community Center Park Improvements project.
- Establish appropriations of $76,800 in Capital Project KN3428 - Lincoln Acres Community Center/Park Improvements project, based on reallocated Community Development Block Grant funding. (4 VOTES)
- Approve and authorize the establishment of additional appropriations in the amount of $20,000 in the Department of Environmental Health budget for the Lincoln Acres Household Hazardous Waste Event, based on unanticipated Community Development Block Grant funds. (4 VOTES)
- Authorize the publication of any required “Notices to the Public of Request for the release of funds” for the recommended new projects in Recommendation # 1; authorize the Director Department of Housing and Community Development, to execute Requests for Release of Funds; and direct staff to transmit these requests to the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development upon completion of any mandatory waiting period.
- Direct the Chief Administrative Officer to authorize the Director, Department of Housing and Community Development, in consultation with County Counsel, to negotiate and award contracts, or contract amendments, for the Lincoln Acres Household Trash Collection Assistance project following the completion of environmental processing and U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development release of funds, if applicable.
Funds for these requests are included in the FY 2002-03 County Budget. The funding source is the Community Development Block Grant Program ($111,433). If approved this request will result in the expenditure of $111,433 in CDBG funds and will require the addition of no staff years. There is no General Fund cost.
The Lincoln Acres Civic Association has identified four community improvement projects that will benefit the Lincoln Acres community. The recommended projects would be funded from completed or cancelled projects previously approved in the Lincoln Acres community.
Lincoln Acres Community Clean Up ($11,040)
This is a request for $11,040 in CDBG funds for the Department of Public Works to sponsor a community cleanup event to be held at the Park & Ride lot off Interstate 805 at Sweetwater Road in Lincoln Acres. Lincoln Acres residents will be able to drop off household trash at no cost to them. A local hauler would be contracted to provide metal collection bins for household trash and separate collection bins for common recyclables including: white goods, wood, and yard clippings. The Recycling Program operated by Public Works will also contract with a separate hauler for the collection and recycling of tires.
Lincoln Acres Trash Collection Assistance ($3,593)
This is a request for $3,953 in CDBG funds for the Department of Housing and Community Development to contract for collection assistance services from a local community-based organization. The contractor would be required to provide individuals and vehicles capable of driving to homes in Lincoln Acres and picking up large trash items residents are unable to transport to the drop-off site on their own.
Lincoln Acres Household Hazardous Waste Pick-up ($20,000)
This is a request for $20,000 in CDBG funds to enable the Department of Environmental Health (DEH) to conduct a special one-day door-to-door collection in the Lincoln Acres area. Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) includes unwanted items typically used in routine home maintenance, such as: household cleaners; paint and paint-related materials; and auto fluids.
To carry out the waste collection, DEH will utilize the services of an approved Household Hazardous Waste contractor with all of the appropriate licenses and registrations that are required to package, transport and manage the collected wastes. Following the door-to-door collection event, wastes will be transported to the County-operated Permanent Household Hazardous Waste Collection Facility in Ramona for consolidation.
Lincoln Acres Community Center/Park Improvements ($76,800)
This is a request for $76,800 in CDBG funds for the Department of Parks and Recreation to make improvements to the Lincoln Acres Community Center/Park. Community center improvements include exterior access to restrooms for park users, new commercial stove and refrigerator/freezer, electrical system upgrades, window treatments, bulletin boards and interior painting. Park improvements include the installation of shade trees and shrubs, irrigation upgrades, new benches for the basketball court, exterior lighting upgrades, and resurfacing and restoration of the basketball court.
The community improvement projects are needed and would benefit the Lincoln Acres community. I urge your support.
Supervisor, First District