DATE: May 10, 2016
TO: Board of Supervisors
SUBJECT: NEIGHBORHOOD REINVESTMENT PROGRAM GRANTS (DISTRICT: 1)
The County of San Diego is fortunate to have an opportunity to reinvest taxpayer money into our communities for the benefit of the public. This action will assist the County in meeting the needs of the community.
SUPERVISOR GREG COX
1. Allocate $130,000 from the Neighborhood Reinvestment Program budget (Org 15650) to the YMCA of San Diego County for construction of a year-round cabin at YMCA Camp Surf located at 560 Silver Strand Boulevard in Imperial Beach.
2. Allocate $5,000 from the Neighborhood Reinvestment Program Budget (Org 15650) to the City of Imperial Beach to purchase materials and supplies for the Fiesta del Mar Celebration including booths for artistisans and non-profit organizations, restroom infrastructure improvements, fencing, and production costs for the music festival including sound and musicians.
3. Allocate $5,000 from the Neighborhood Reinvestment Program Budget (Org 15650) to the Mabuhay Foundation for the costs associated with the Mabuhay Festival at Kimball Park in National City including printing of marketing materials, flyers, handouts, posters, programs and banners.
4. Find that the grant awards described above have a public purpose.
5. Authorize the Deputy Chief Administrative Officer/Auditor and Controller to execute grant agreements with these organizations establishing terms for receipt of the funds described above and to make minor amendments to the agreement that are consistent with the general purpose of the grant but do not increase the grant.
The fiscal impact of these recommendations is $140,000. Funds for this request are included in the Fiscal Year 2015-2016 Operational Plan for the Neighborhood Reinvestment Program (Org 15650). The funding source is General Fund fund balance. These actions will result in the addition of no staff years and no additional costs.
Business Impact Statement
Advisory Board Statement
YMCA of San Diego County
As the longest lasting and largest youth and family service, 501(c)3 organization, in San Diego County, the YMCA of San Diego County oversees a number of camps, developmental programs, service projects, swimming pools, and YMCA facilities throughout San Diego County. In total, nearly one in every ten people in our community will benefit or have benefitted by the services the YMCA provides. One of the longest lasting services the YMCA provides in our region is Camp Surf. Camp Surf began operation in 1969 in Imperial Beach, and in 1998, received a 50-year lease by the United States Congress to ensure the future of the camp. Today, over 12,000 participants from around the county and across the country participate in the 3-season camp that operates on 45 acres of land, covering beaches, dunes, wetlands, and grasslands. If approved, today’s grant will go toward the construction of a new year-round cabin to meet the increased demand of additional operations in the environmental education programs for youth and their families.
City of Imperial Beach
The City of Imperial Beach will host its inaugural Fiesta del Mar Celebration, a cross-border celebration of friendship between the cities of Imperial Beach and Rosarito, Mexico. Fiesta del Mar is an exciting development resulting from the Friendship Agreement signed by Imperial Beach Mayor Serge Dedina and Mayor Silvano Abarca of Rosarito, Mexico. This event will demonstrate the City and Port’s commitment to protecting and preserving the Tidelands – consisting of the city’s beach, Pier Plaza, and the Pier – and help educate the public about the vitality and natural wonders of the area. If awarded, today’s grant will assist the City of Imperial Beach with the purchase of materials and supplies for the Fiesta del Mar Celebration including booths for artistisans and non-profit organizations, restroom infrastructure improvements, fencing, and production costs for the music festival including sound and musicians. The day-long, family-friendly celebration will showcase live musical acts from both the Rosarito and San Diego areas as well as interactive family activities hosted by the Boys & Girls Clubs of both cities.
The Mabuhay Foundation is a 501(c)3 established with the purpose of engaging, uniting, building and educating communities through civic engagement, developmental programs and special projects. This year marks the 6th Annual Mabuhay Festival at Kimball Park in National City, promoting pride and unity in celebration of Filipino culture and heritage. Honoring the 118th Philippine Independence Day, the festival program includes participation from groups representing the business sector, civic organizations, local government, non-profit organizations and local talent among many others. If approved, today’s grant will assist the Mabuhay Foundation with the cost of printing marketing materials including flyers, handouts, posters, programs and banners to engage and inform the community about the event.
Linkage to the County of San Diego Strategic Plan
These grants provide an opportunity for the Board of Supervisors to assist worthy organizations that promote the County’s vision of a region that is safe, healthy, and thriving.
Supervisor, First District
AGENDA ITEM INFORMATION SHEET
REQUIRES FOUR VOTES:  Yes [X] No
WRITTEN DISCLOSURE PER COUNTY CHARTER SECTION 1000.1 REQUIRED
[ ] Yes [X ] No
PREVIOUS RELEVANT BOARD ACTIONS:
BOARD POLICIES APPLICABLE: