DATE: January 26, 2016
TO: Board of Supervisors
SUBJECT: NEIGHBORHOOD REINVESTMENT PROGRAM GRANTS AND COMMUNITY ENHANCEMENT AMENDMENT (DISTRICT: 1)
The County of San Diego is fortunate to have an opportunity to reinvest taxpayer money into our communities for the benefit of the public. This action will assist the County in meeting the needs of the community.
SUPERVISOR GREG COX
1. Allocate $26,400 from the Neighborhood Reinvestment Program budget (Org 15650) to Angels Foster Family Network for the purchase of furniture and equipment including tables, seating, two audio visual projectors and storage cabinets for their conference room and training facility.
2. Allocate $50,000 from the Neighborhood Reinvestment Program Budget (Org 15650) to the Maritime Museum of San Diego for the costs associated with repairing the Star of India sailing ship.
3. Allocate $203,412 from the Neighborhood Reinvestment Program Budget (Org 15650) to the Boys and Girls Clubs of Greater San Diego for costs associated with upgrading their fire sprinkler suppression system at the National City branch located at 1430 D Avenue in National City.
4. Allocate $17,500 from the Neighborhood Reinvestment Program Budget (Org 15650) to Partnerships with Industry for the purchase of a forklift for their work and training center.
5. Allocate $10,322 from the Neighborhood Reinvestment Program Budget (Org 15650) to Operation Engage America for costs associated with a website build and design.
6. Allocate $23,550 from the Neighborhood Reinvestment Program Budget (Org 15650) to the City of Imperial Beach for the costs associated with removing fencing along the Bayshore Bikeway.
7. Allocate $3,600 from the Neighborhood Reinvestment Program Budget (Org 15650) to the Bonita Historical Society for the purchase of lighting fixtures, an office printer, outside storage containers for art supplies and repairs and upgrades to their safety center including walls, windows air ducts, overhead lighting, carpet and doors.
8. Allocate $17,500 from the Neighborhood Reinvestment Program Budget (Org 15650) to the Chula Vista American Little League team for the purchase of baseball and landscaping equipment including lawnmowers, weed whackers and watering supplies, pitching machines and team equipment in addition to repairing the batting cages, scoreboards, baseball field and awnings, snack bar, and upgrades to security equipment and lighting.
9. Amend the purpose of the 6/23/2015 (20) Community Enhancement Program allocation of $2,000 to MANA de San Diego to include materials and supplies for volunteer t-shirts and registration supplies, and a conference venue rental fee. Authorize the Chief Financial Officer to amend the grant agreement accordingly.
10. Find that the grant awards described above have a public purpose.
11. Authorize the Chief Financial Officer to execute grant agreements with these organizations establishing terms for receipt of the funds described above and to make minor amendments to the agreement that are consistent with the general purpose of the grant but do not increase the grant.
12. Find that the proposed grant fund allocations identified in Recommendation Nos. 2, 3, 6, 7 and 8 are exempt from review under the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) by Section 15301 of the CEQA Guidelines.
The fiscal impact of these recommendations is $352,284. Funds for this request are included in the Fiscal Year 2015-2016 Operational Plan for the Neighborhood Reinvestment Program (Org 15650). The funding source is General Fund fund balance. These actions will result in the addition of no staff years and no additional costs.
Business Impact Statement
Advisory Board Statement
Angels Foster Family Network
Angels Foster Family Agency is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization dedicated to rescuing neglected infants and toddlers in San Diego County by providing nurturing families committed to meeting their unique developmental needs. As an important County partner in the care of foster children, Angels currently has 77 certified foster homes throughout the County with 7 located in the First District. Angels provides homelike environments for visits between parent and child enabling them to create, maintain and enhance the adult-child bond that is critical to development and long term mental health. Angels has moved into a new, larger facility in order to support the growing needs of the organization while serving more infants and toddlers in San Diego County. The new facility will offer three age-appropriate visitation rooms, surrounding a central play area in addition to rooms for meetings, orientations, support groups and trainings. Today’s grant, if approved, will assist Angels Foster Family Network with the purchase of furniture and equipment including tables, seating, two audio visual projectors and storage cabinets for their conference room and training facility.
Maritime Museum of San Diego
The Maritime Museum of San Diego is a 501(c)3 organization essential to preserving San Diego’s rich maritime history. Collectively, the Maritime Museum features 11 vessels and thousands of maritime objects including a research library, maps, ship models and charts among many other historic items. The Star of India has been a fixture at the Museum for 67 years, attracting approximately 200,000 visitors to it and millions more to the amenities at the Bay Front. In order to preserve the Museum’s oldest operating vessel, repairs to the ship’s deck and internal structure are required to overhaul the cumulative effects of weather and aging damage. Today’s grant, if approved, will assist the Maritime Museum with the cost of repairing the Star of India to ensure the ship’s long-term survival.
The Boys and Girls Clubs of Greater San Diego – National City
The Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater San Diego is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization whose programs focus on the health, social, educational, physical, cultural, and vocational needs of the youth they serve. They inspire and enable youth of all backgrounds to realize their full potential as productive, responsible and caring citizens. Today’s grant, if approved, will assist the Boys and Girls Clubs of Greater San Diego with the purchase and installation of a fire sprinkler system at the Bob Payne Family Branch at 1430 D Avenue in National City for comprehensive fire protection throughout the branch.
Partnerships With Industry
Partnerships With Industry (PWI) is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization whose goal is to provide adults with an intellectual, developmental or other disability the opportunity to reach their potential and realize their dream of community employment and independence. PWI connects people with jobs at industry partner locations that provide them with self-esteem, income, purpose, and much more. Thus far, PWI has helped over 12,500 individuals find meaningful employment and increased self-sufficiency. PWI is in need of a new forklift to transport materials and supplies to their Work and Training Center where they are then assembled into products by employees. Today’s grant, if approved, will provide PWI $17,500 for the purchase of a forklift, an essential part of operations at the Work and Training Center.
Operation Engage America
Operation Engage America is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization dedicated to increasing public awareness around the issues of Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) and suicide among our veteran, service member, first responder communities and their families. Their mission is to directly and positively impact the lives of affected communities by providing education and resources that destigmatize these issues and mobilize larger collectives to support lasting change. Today’s grant, if approved, will assist Operation Engage America with the costs associated with a website build and design that will provide a reliable source of information and resources for populations throughout San Diego County and beyond.
City of Imperial Beach
The Bayshore Bikeway is a 24-mile class-1 bike path around San Diego Bay that provides a tremendous venue for recreational bicyclers, and commuters, walkers and joggers to explore and enjoy a diverse range of scenic areas. The City of Imperial Beach has identified specific existing stretches of fencing they want to remove along the bike path in order to improve safety and the visual experience of this scenic route. Today’s grant will assist the City of Imperial Beach with the funding costs associated with removing fencing along the Bayshore Bikeway.
Bonita Historical Society
The Bonita Historical Society is a non-profit organization that operates the Bonita Museum at 4355 Bonita Road. They are dedicated to preserving, for public education and enjoyment, the culture, history, arts, crafts and aesthetic facets of the region, specifically Rancho de la Nacion in South San Diego County. Today’s grant, if approved, will provide funds for the purchase and installation of lighting fixtures, office printers, outside storage containers for art supplies and repairs, and upgrades to their safety center including walls, windows air ducts, overhead lighting, carpet and doors. The Bonita Historical Society will accept the responsibility of maintaining the fixtures and paying for replacement light bulbs.
Chula Vista American Little League
Chula Vista American Little League is a 501(c)3 organization, a chartered member of Little League Baseball, Incorporated, that provides recreational baseball activity to youth ages 4-13. In the company of their peers and coach mentors, youth learn the importance of leadership, good sportsmanship and respect – qualities they will carry for a lifetime. In December 2015, the team’s headquarters was broken into, vandalized, and expensive landscaping and baseball equipment stolen from the premises. Through their own fundraising efforts, the team has since recouped a fraction of the money necessary to replace the stolen items. Today’s grant, if approved, will provide funds for the purchase of baseball and landscaping equipment including lawnmowers, weed whackers and watering supplies, pitching machines and team equipment in addition to repairing the batting cages, scoreboards, baseball field and awnings, snack bar, and upgrades to security equipment and lighting.
Linkage to the County of San Diego Strategic Plan
These grants provide an opportunity for the Board of Supervisors to assist worthy organizations that promote the County’s vision of a region that is safe, healthy, and thriving.
Supervisor, First District