DATE: October 28, 2014
TO: Board of Supervisors
SUBJECT: NEIGHBORHOOD REINVESTMENT PROGRAM (DISTRICT: 1)
The County of San Diego is fortunate to have an opportunity to reinvest taxpayer money into our communities for the benefit of the public. This action will assist the County in meeting the needs of the community.
SUPERVISOR GREG COX
- Allocate $10,770 from the Neighborhood Reinvestment Program budget (Org 15650) to the Monarch School for the purchase and installation of synthetic turf for the outdoor recreational field on campus located at 1625 Newton Avenue in San Diego.
- Allocate $10,800 from the Neighborhood Reinvestment Program budget (Org 15650) to the Department of Parks and Recreation for the production of twelve short films highlighting various regional parks, public amenities and strategic initiatives in South Bay in order to educate, inform and inspire the public.
- Transfer appropriations of $10,800 from the Neighborhood Reinvestment Program (Org 15650) Services and Supplies, to the Department of Parks and Recreation (Org 52806), Operating Transfer Out, for the production of twelve short films highlighting various regional parks, public amenities and strategic initiatives in South Bay in order to educate, inform and inspire the public.
- Find that the grant of Neighborhood Reinvestment Funds to the Monarch School to install synthetic turf is exempt from review under the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) by Section 15301 of the State CEQA Guidelines.
- Authorize the Chief Financial Officer to execute a grant agreement with this organization establishing terms for receipt of the funds described above and to make minor amendments to the agreement that are consistent with the general purpose of the grant but do not increase the grant.
- Find that the grant awards described above have a public purpose.
The fiscal impact of these recommendations is $21,570. Funds for this request are included in the Fiscal Year 2014-2015 CAO Adopted Operational Plan for the Neighborhood Reinvestment Program (Org 15650). The funding source is General Fund fund balance. These actions will result in the addition of no staff years and no additional costs.
Business Impact Statement
Advisory Board Statement
The Monarch School is a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization, in partnership with the San Diego County Office of Education that is dedicated to helping San Diego’s homeless and at-risk youth break the cycle of poverty through education. The school, located at 1625 Newton Avenue in Barrio Logan, provides children with an accredited education and enrichment programs while providing for their basic needs such as medical and dental care, food and clothing supplements, counseling, and family assistance. Monarch’s circular natural-grass recreation field is currently in a condition that poses a safety hazard to students due to normal wear and tear from daily sports activities. With this grant, the school will purchase durable synthetic turf to replace the natural grass. This new sports surface will help ensure the safety of the students and the longevity of the recreational field.
Department of Parks and Recreation
South Bay is fortunate to have many public amenities that include regional parks, hiking trails, bike paths and numerous public facilities that enable the public to explore the outdoors. In order to further educate, inform and inspire the public of the resources that exist and to highlight strategic initiatives that promote Live Well San Diego, today’s grant will provide resources to produce twelve short films that each highlight various amenities or initiatives. These films will be available on websites and through social media for the public to enjoy.
Linkage to the County of San Diego Strategic Plan
These grants provide an opportunity for the Board of Supervisors to assist worthy organizations that promote the County’s vision of a region that is safe, healthy, and thriving.
Supervisor, First District
AGENDA ITEM INFORMATION SHEET
REQUIRES FOUR VOTES:  Yes [X] No
WRITTEN DISCLOSURE PER COUNTY CHARTER SECTION 1000.1 REQUIRED [ ] Yes [X ] No
PREVIOUS RELEVANT BOARD ACTIONS: N/A
BOARD POLICIES APPLICABLE: N/A
BOARD POLICY STATEMENTS: N/A
MANDATORY COMPLIANCE: N/A
ORACLE AWARD NUMBER(S) AND CONTRACT AND/OR REQUISITION NUMBER(S): N/A
ORIGINATING DEPARTMENT: District 1, Board of Supervisors
OTHER CONCURRENCE(S): N/A
CONTACT PERSON(S): Gregory R. Murphy, (619) 531-5511, firstname.lastname@example.org