DATE: December 3, 2013
TO: Board of Supervisors
SUBJECT: NEIGHBORHOOD REINVESTMENT PROGRAM (DISTRICT ONE)
The County of San Diego is fortunate to have an opportunity to reinvest taxpayer money into our communities for the benefit of the public. This action will assist the County in meeting the needs of the community.
CHAIRMAN GREG COX
- Transfer appropriations of $46,000 from the Neighborhood Reinvestment Program budget (Org 15650), services and supplies to Contribution to County Library (Org 12351), Operating Transfer Out to assist the San Diego County Library with the cost of an additional storage shed for the Friends of the Library bookstore and related concrete sidewalk, and curb cutouts and asphalt extending from the existing storage shed to the parking lot at the Bonita-Sunnyside Library branch.
- Establish appropriations of $46,000 in the County Library, services and supplies, based on an Operating Transfer from the General Fund. (4 VOTES)
- Allocate $25,000 from the Neighborhood Reinvestment Program budget (Org 15650) to 2-1-1 San Diego to assist with the purchase and installation of a high-end 3-D computer, a touchscreen monitor, and GIS software for 2-1-1’s office at 5251 Viewridge Court, Suite 130, San Diego to strengthen coordination between agencies and nonprofits during an emergency.
- Allocate $6,000 from the Neighborhood Reinvestment Program budget (Org 15650) to the California State Games to assist them with the costs associated with the printing of promotional postcards and official games programs.
- Cancel appropriations of $1,000,000 and related revenue in the Capital Outlay Fund – Library Construction for Capital Project 1014183, Imperial Beach Branch Library Expansion so the funds can be reallocated to other projects.
- Transfer appropriations of $1,000,000 from the Contributions to Capital Outlay Fund, Operating Transfer Out, to the Neighborhood Reinvestment Program (org #15650), services and supplies to reallocate to other projects.
- Establish appropriations of $62,243 in the Neighborhood Reinvestment Program budget (org 15650) for reallocation based on the unused portion of the 06/25/2013 (15) allocation of $62,243 to Living Coast Discovery Center. (4 VOTES)
- Authorize the Chief Financial Officer to execute grant agreements with these organizations establishing terms for receipt of the funds described above and to make minor amendments to the agreements that are consistent with the general purpose of the grant but do not increase the grant.
- Find that the grant awards described above have a public purpose.
- Find that the allocation to the San Diego County Library is exempt from CEQA pursuant to CEQA Guidelines section 15301.
The fiscal impact of these recommendations will result in a net gain in appropriations of $923,000 - These actions will result in the addition of no staff years and no future costs.
Business Impact Statement
Advisory Board Statement
San Diego County Library
The San Diego County Library system was named the Library of the Year last year by the Library Journal for its vitality, creativity and innovation in delivering services to the public. The County Library continues to innovate and expand programs and services that the public enjoys. The Bonita-Sunnyside Library Branch strives to provide meaningful opportunities for public education and improving the quality of life. Today’s grant, if approved, will make it possible for the Library to add an additional storage shed to support the Friends of the Library’s bookstore, as well as construct related asphalt and concrete sidewalks and curb cutouts at the Bonita-Sunnyside Branch Library to improve storage capacity and access issues.
2-1-1 San Diego
2-1-1 San Diego is a non-profit organization serving the entire population of San Diego County. 2-1-1 is the resource and information hub that connects people with community, health and disaster services through a free, 24/7 confidential phone service and searchable online database. Last year alone, 2-1-1 San Diego answered 221,395 calls, provided 270,649 referrals, and completed 8,669 applications to Medi-Cal, CalFresh, Healthy Families, Utility Assistance, and Patient Pharmacy Assistance. In times of disaster, 2-1-1 is a critical partner to the San Diego County Office of Emergency Services (OES), providing public information to the community and rumor control and trend analysis to County officials, reporting community needs, and acting as the central communications point for other community agencies. Today’s grant if approved, will support the purchase and installation of a high-end 3-D computer, a touchscreen monitor, and GIS software for 2-1-1’s office at 5251 Viewridge Court, Suite 130, San Diego to strengthen coordination between agencies and nonprofits during an emergency.
California State Games
California State Games is a statewide amateur sports festival that is a grass roots program of the United States Olympic Committee. The mission of the Games is to promote and nurture the health, education, and wellbeing of residents by managing a high quality amateur sports event that encourages community participation and provides an Olympic experience. The California State Games has been organizing California’s own “Olympic Games” for over 25 years. California State Games provides an opportunity for thousands of young athletes to compete in a variety of sports staged in the Olympic traditions. They host a Winter and Summer statewide amateur sports festival complete with opening ceremonies at Qualcomm Stadium, Lighting of the Torch, and Gold, Silver & Bronze Medal presentations. Today’s grant if approved will provide funds for costs associated with printing of promotional postcards and the official event program.
Imperial Beach Library
This action cancels appropriations of $973,182.66 in the Library Capital Outlay Fund, Capital Project – 1014183 for the Imperial Beach Branch Library so the funds can be reallocated to other projects.
Living Coast Discovery Center
The Living Coast Discovery Center was allocated a grant of $62,243 on June 25, 2013 (15). Following the grant disbursement, the organization voluntarily disclosed to the County a risk to financial solvency and returned the grant funds to the County. The organization has now provided sufficient documentation to demonstrate continued financial solvency in accordance with the program policy. Today's actions will re-establish appropriations of $62,243 in the District One Neighborhood Reinvestment Program based on prior year returned funds from the Living Coast Discovery Center and reallocate those funds to the Living Coast Discovery Center so that grant activities can commence as originally planned.
Linkage to the County of San Diego Strategic Plan
These grants provide an opportunity for the Board of Supervisors to assist worthy organizations that promote the County’s vision of a region that is safe, healthy, and thriving.
AGENDA ITEM INFORMATION SHEET
REQUIRES FOUR VOTES: [X] Yes  No
WRITTEN DISCLOSURE PER COUNTY CHARTER SECTION 1000.1 REQUIRED [ ] Yes [ ] No
PREVIOUS RELEVANT BOARD ACTIONS: N/A
BOARD POLICIES APPLICABLE: N/A
BOARD POLICY STATEMENTS: N/A
MANDATORY COMPLIANCE: N/A
ORACLE AWARD NUMBER(S) AND CONTRACT AND/OR REQUISITION NUMBER(S): N/A
ORIGINATING DEPARTMENT: District 1, Board of Supervisors
OTHER CONCURRENCE(S): N/A
CONTACT PERSON(S): Gregory R. Murphy, (619) 531-5511, firstname.lastname@example.org