DATE: November 5, 2013
TO: Board of Supervisors
SUBJECT: NEIGHBORHOOD REINVESTMENT PROGRAM (DISTRICT ONE)
The County of San Diego is fortunate to have an opportunity to reinvest taxpayer money into our communities for the benefit of the public. This action will assist the County in meeting the needs of the community.
CHAIRMAN GREG COX
- Allocate $50,000 from the Neighborhood Reinvestment Program budget (Org 15650) to the South Bay Family YMCA to assist with the purchase of gymnastics equipment for the new Eastlake YMCA.
- Allocate $28,476 from the Neighborhood Reinvestment Program budget (Org 15650) to the Chula Vista Community Collaborative to assist them with the purchase and installation of new office dividers, two outdoor display cases/boards and five mailboxes.
- Authorize the Chief Financial Officer to execute grant agreements with these organizations establishing terms for receipt of the funds described above and to make minor amendments to the agreements that are consistent with the general purpose of the grant but do not increase the grant.
- Find that the grant awards described above have a public purpose.
- Find that the allocation to the Chula Vista Community Collaborative is exempt from the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) pursuant to CEQA Guidelines section 15301.
The fiscal impact of these recommendations is $78,476. These actions will result in the addition of no staff years and no future costs.
Business Impact Statement
Advisory Board Statement
South Bay YMCA
With more than 50 years of service to the south county communities of National City, Chula Vista, and Bonita, the South Bay YMCA has helped nurture life lessons in kids, foster health and well-being among people of any age, bring people together to pursue passions old and new and provide mutual support for everyone in the neighborhoods. The South Bay Family YMCA is expanding its services by opening a 34,941 square foot, state-of-the-art facility in the Eastlake area, which will allow them to better serve the needs of this expanding community. Today’s grant, if approved will partially fund the gymnastics equipment for the Lyn Sutherland Gymnastics Center that will be housed in the new Eastlake YMCA facility. This new gymnastics center will give the YMCA the capacity needed to serve more than 16,000 children annually versus the 8,000 children that they have the capacity to serve now.
Chula Vista Community Collaborative
The Chula Vista Community Collaborative (CVCC) is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization focusing on connecting thousands of families each year to social service programs and emergency services through its network of 5 Family Resource Centers (FRC) in Chula Vista. The Collaborative is in need of replacing their weathered, torn and dirty office dividers in order to provide an aesthetically pleasing environment for staff and families that spend time at various FRC’s. Two of the five FRC’s are in need of an outside display case that will allow them to give families access to information 24 hours a day, and most recently each FRC has been given its own address by the US Post Office for which they will need to purchase and install mailboxes for each location. Today’s grant, if approved, will provide one-time funding for the purchase and installation of office dividers, outdoor display boards and mailboxes.
Linkage to the County of San Diego Strategic Plan
These grants provide an opportunity for the Board of Supervisors to assist worthy organizations that promote the County’s vision of a region that is safe, healthy, and thriving.
AGENDA ITEM INFORMATION SHEET
REQUIRES FOUR VOTES: [ ] Yes [X] No
WRITTEN DISCLOSURE PER COUNTY CHARTER SECTION 1000.1 REQUIRED [ ] Yes [ ] No
PREVIOUS RELEVANT BOARD ACTIONS: N/A
BOARD POLICIES APPLICABLE: N/A
BOARD POLICY STATEMENTS: N/A
MANDATORY COMPLIANCE: N/A
ORACLE AWARD NUMBER(S) AND CONTRACT AND/OR REQUISITION NUMBER(S): N/A
ORIGINATING DEPARTMENT: District 1, Board of Supervisors
OTHER CONCURRENCE(S): N/A
CONTACT PERSON(S): Gregory R. Murphy, (619) 531-5511, email@example.com