DATE: December 4, 2012
TO: BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
SUBJECT: NEIGHBORHOOD REINVESTMENT PROGRAM (DISTRICT 1)
The County of San Diego is fortunate to have an opportunity to reinvest taxpayer money into our communities for the benefit of the public. This action will assist the County in meeting the needs of the community.
VICE CHAIRMAN GREG COX:
- Transfer appropriations of $25,000 from the Neighborhood Reinvestment Program budget (org 15650) to Contributions to Library Fund (Operating Transfer Out) to assist the San Diego County Library with the cost of books, DVDs and educational materials for three new collections at the new Lincoln Acres Library that will focus on children’s skills acquisition, early literacy and kindergarten readiness, and parenting.
- Establish appropriations of $25,000 in the County Library budget, services and supplies, for the purchase of books, DVDs and educational materials for the new Lincoln Acres Library based on an Operating Transfer from the General Fund. (4 VOTES)
- Allocate $10,000 from the Neighborhood Reinvestment Program budget (Org 15650) to Gompers Preparatory Academy to purchase classroom furniture and materials for a new Math Lab at the academy, including tables, chairs, rugs, lights and wall decorations.
- Authorize the Chief Financial Officer to execute grant agreements with these organizations establishing terms for receipt of the funds described above and to make minor amendments to the agreements that are consistent with the general purpose of the grant but do not increase the grant.
- Find that the grant awards described above have a public purpose.
The total allocation of these 2 grants is $35,000. These actions will result in the addition of no staff years and no future costs.
San Diego County Library
Lincoln Acres, part of the First Supervisorial District, faces unique challenges to achieving student success. 100% of the students at Lincoln Acres Elementary are financially eligible for free or reduced-cost school meals. In statewide standardized science testing, only 29% of Lincoln Acres students scored proficient or better. As the “third place” that children gather between school and home, the Lincoln Acres Library can provide the space and materials, to help students improve scholastic skills in an enjoyable way. Today’s grant, if approved, will provide funds to purchase additional books, DVDs and educational materials for three new collections at the Lincoln Acres Library that will focus on children’s skills acquisition, early literacy and kindergarten readiness, and parenting. With the grand opening of the newly reconstructed library in January 2013 and with these new library collections, we hope to support youth education and significantly improve the lives of residents in Lincoln Acres.
Gompers Preparatory Academy
Founded in 2009, Gompers Preparatory Academy (GPA), in partnership with UCSD, offers a rigorous high school college preparatory program of instruction designed to prepare students for college. Located in the Chollas View neighborhood of San Diego, their academic program includes honors and advanced placement courses in history, math, science and English. Students are taught to think critically and to develop analytical skills that will prepare them for life beyond high school. In order to raise student achievement in math, GPA must find ways to serve students with a wide range of mathematic abilities through web-based programming that targets students at their individual points of need. These math labs are designed to serve all students grades 6 through 12, in all levels of math through pre-calculus. Today’s grant, if approved, will provide $10,000 to Gompers Preparatory Academy to purchase classroom furniture and materials for a new math lab at the academy.
AGENDA ITEM INFORMATION SHEET
COUNTY COUNSEL REVIEW [X] Yes
Written Disclosure per County Charter  Yes [X] No
Section 1000.1 Required
GROUP/AGENCY FINANCE DIRECTOR  Yes [X] N/A
CHIEF FINANCIAL OFFICER  Yes [X] N/A
Requires Four Votes [X] Yes  No
TECHNOLOGY DIRECTOR  Yes [X] N/A
COUNTY TECHNOLOGY OFFICE  Yes [X] N/A
DEPARTMENT OF HUMAN RESOURCES  Yes
Other Concurrence(s): N/A
CONTACT PERSON(S): Gregory R. Murphy (619) 531-5511